Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patty's @ Elixir


Green beer? That was fun in college and the Eighties, but green has taken on a new meaning for me, in case you haven't noticed. Today is a day we celebrate the long Irish tradition in the Mission District. From Hugh Mooney who ran Elixir from 1873 to 1893 to other Proprietors like Patrick J. McGinnis who built the current saloon and Thomas Sheehan who bought it from him and Tony Cassidy, who sold it to me, there have been a lot of St. Patty's celebrations in Elixir.

Well, I'm not Irish by birth, but I spent a lot of time in Irish Catholic educational institutions (GO Eagles!)...and drinking establishments. I learned what it is to be a good neighborhood bar from some of my favorites and it is those principals that guide Elixir to this day.

So today, let's celebrate the good of the Irish, the drink of the Irish and the friendship of the Irish. It has nothing to do with luck.

No comments: