Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gardening Update


Wooooow! 2 posts, 2 days. Not bad.
The pic to the left is none other than Marko Karakasevic digging up a Wormwood plant for me to bring home from the grounds of Domaine Charbay. That's right, Marko. Dig it. The one on the right is an older wormwood plant of his (what it looks like when it grows nice and tall). I mixed up a few cocktails that night and muddled some wormwood with some pineapple, lime juice, agave nectar and Charbay Tequila. when I muddled the wormwood with the pineapple, Marko noticed that it oddly smelled like a strawberry, so we called the cocktail the Spring Hill Mountain Strawberry. Try it!

I'm in this gardening frenzy, so I went and spent another $150 today at the garden center. Additions: 2 more wine barrels for my blueberry bushes and meyer lemon tree (1 each, duh), hot and spicy oregano (wait until I put that in a cocktail!), stevia, epazote, pineapple mint, more spearmint and peppermint, lemon grass and some citrus tree food. I learned that the holes in most of my leaves are from caterpillars that are plaguing everyone. According to my new best gardening buddy, Abbey (at Flowercraft Garden Center, 550 Bayshore), the little buggers are getting worse with global warming every year. I learned how to look for Aphids and kill them and few tips about watering. Turns out Abbey is an avid cocktailian and is psyched to learn of my little project. She was full of ideas. She uses the flowers of African Blue Basil in her own vodka martinis, which she loves with the original formula of Noilly Prat French Vermouth. Nice one, Abbey!

2 comments:

frederic said...

My recommendation for aphids (besides buying tubs of Ladybugs) is to plant nasturtiums around the more vulnerable plants. They seem to draw the aphids away, and they also provide a bounty of edible flowers and leaves. I use the nasturtium flowers in salads, as garnishes, and for infusions (made a tasty nasturtium milk punch recently).

H. said...

Thanks for the recommendations. Several people have told me I need Nasturtiums, so I guess I'll go get some! I've been doing vodka infusion experiments with the various herb flowers in the garden, so I look forward to playing with that. Milk Punches are my favorite brunch cocktails!