Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Radio Free Cocktails

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from KQED radio with a request for a little chat about cocktails and "the cocktail renaissance". We spoke for about 10 minutes and I thought that was the interview. I figured they'd use some of what I said in reference to some other people's perspectives on cocktails. Then I was asked to come down to the studio the next morning for the segment. I didn't think too much of it and said ok.

The last time I was on the radio (a few weeks ago), I got all prepared for this live segment on a cooking show. They told me that they wanted to talk about my career and how I got to what I am doing today (what was that again?). I called in, was introduced and was asked to describe my background and career. Since I thought that was exactly the topic, I went on a little too extensively and before I knew it, I was being cut off. I was on the phone a bit befuddled when the host came back on and said it was over. Opps. I guess I thought it was going to be longer than the 6 or 7 minutes (I was never told how long it would be, so that was my error). I left that with a lesson learned on radio shows: be brief and specific.

So when this thing got kicked off, it was apparent that I was there for a full hour show and was going to be in a conversation with a relative cocktail novice as a host and two of the most knowledgeable men in the business. It was a great set up for asking pointed questions that the wide reach audience of NPR would really get into. And they did.

The hour was thoroughly enjoyable and except for the thousands of miles between us, I felt like I was sitting in the same room with Dale and Doc, just shooting the shit with people who were honestly interested in what it is we each do. The only thing that was missing, as I said in an email to Dale and Doc later in the day...was a cocktail. But we'll be sharing some soon in New Orleans...talking to more people about the lucky lives we lead, sharing cocktails with the world. Click here to hear it. (You'll need about 55 minutes to hear the whole thing and you can download it as an mp3.)

3 comments:

My World said...

Great blog.... I have Imbibe as a link on my blog....

I will visit again... and if I ever
visit S.F. area, you will be my first stop...

Thank you,

William

My World said...

A great blog...

I found your site when I dropped in on Imbibe Magazine. I have them as a link on my blog...

I will return...

Thank you,

William

Viewer said...

That was a great show. I missed 90% of the original broadcast, but I went back and caught the podcast. One thing I hoped you guys would get into was the question of what IS a cocktail, and what is NOT a cocktail.
You set it up several times, when Doc was introduced, when Martinis were discussed, and when ( Doc ? ) described how the the word itself was becoming more general.
But I still don't know what a Martini is, if it is not a cocktail :)

Oh, and I hope to make my first visit to Elixir very soon :)